Search

Discover more

Točník Castle Ruins

The older Žebrák Castle and the Točník Castle form the largest and best preserved castle compounds in Bohemia. Originally, Točník was just a small hunting lodge but after the nearby Žebrák was damaged in fire, Wenceslas IV had a new, more comfortable and more pretentious royal mansion built provides key evidence of advanced skills in medieval architecture.

Točník, about 500 metres away from Žebrák, was a dominant feature of the countryside on the edge of the Křivoklát forests. Wenceslas IV ordered its construction and he was rightly proud of the completed work – the defensive elements of the building were suppressed, it was mostly used for residential purposes and one of its halls was even larger than the largest representation halls in Karlštejn and Prague Castle at that time. The medieval mansion even had “central heating”, a system consisting of ingeniously designed fireplaces and vent holes in the walls. The Thirty Years’ War was fatal for the castle, during which the local residents hid inside its walls from the troops and destroyed its interiors. A dear tourist attraction is Agáta and Martin, two bears that played in a popular children’s programme and then found a home in the local bear sanctuary.


The edifice of Točník castle stands very close to the older Žebrák castle, and has given us the most majestic and best-preserved Czech ‘twain-castle’. The seat was built by King Wenceslas IV and to this day provides key evidence of advanced skills in medieval architecture.

 

The ruins of the Točník and Žebrák castles (only half a kilometre apart) are a landscape landmark at the edge of the Křivoklát hunting forest. As far back as the 2nd half of the 14th century, a small hunting castle stood on the high point of the rocky ridge, its tower still standing there today. The place gained prominence only after 1395, when King Wenceslas IV had a royal seat built here, with minimal defensive elements, intended more as a residence. The sophistication and architectural ingenuity of the building prove it was built for the king’s more-than-occasional stays, not just as a base for hunting in the surrounding forests. Features such as reception rooms for official state visits testify to the castle’s importance.

 

The castle had to wait for more pronounced adaptations – in the Renaissance style – until after 1552, when owned by the noble family Lobkowicz. Another famous owner was Emperor Rudolf II, but after his time the significance and status of the seat begin to decline. The last blow came during the Thirty Years’ War in 1639, when the local population took refuge in the castle and destroyed the interior. The building’s decline could be held back no longer, but despite its sorry state it was bought in 1923 by the Czechoslovak Tourist Club, who undertook safety-related remedial measures, unfortunately without appropriate heritage supervision. Further civil engineering measures were taken after the castle became nationalized (in 1953). Even today, Castle Točník is managed by a State organization, namely the National Heritage Institute. This historic monument remains one of the most extensive Czech castle ruins to this day.

 

Points of interest and tourist attractions include a replica of a medieval pedal crane and the remnants of an ingenious heating system with inventive fireplaces that were able to heat an entire medieval castle. Undoubtedly appealing are the two bears, Agáta and Martin, erstwhile stars of the Czech TV children’s programme ‘Bearcubs at large’. Since 2013 they have found their home right here, in a renovated bear-house beneath Točník castle.


Zvětšit mapu
Wednesday 6.10.
občasný déšťday 12 / 16°Cnight 10 / 14°C
Thursday 7.10.
občasný déšťday 13 / 17°Cnight 7 / 11°C
Friday 8.10.
day / °Cnight / °C

Opening hours

MonthDayTime
March Sa - Su 10:00 - 16:00
April Tu - Su 10:00 - 17:00
May Tu - Su 10:00 - 18:00
June - August Tu - Su 9:00 - 18:00
September Tu - Su 10:00 - 17:00
October Sa - Su 10:00 - 16:00

Entrance fee

Free-flow Tour (basic tour)
Full entrance fee:110,00 Kč
Discount entrance fee:80,00 Kč
Family entrance fee:290,00 Kč Max. 2 adults and 3 children
Children's tickets:80,00 Kč for children up to 18 years
Student admission:80,00 Kč
Senior admission:80,00 Kč for persons over 65 years
reservation not necessary ISIC or EYCA Cards80 CZK
Castle tour with a guide (basic tour)
Full entrance fee:110,00 Kč
Discount entrance fee:80,00 Kč
Family entrance fee:290,00 Kč Max. 2 adults and 3 children
Children's tickets:80,00 Kč for children up to 18 years
Student admission:80,00 Kč
Senior admission:80,00 Kč for persons over 65 years
Note:reservation not necessary ISIC or EYCA Cards80 CZK
A Guided Tour only in July and August reservation not necessary ISIC or EYCA Cards80 CZK
Guided tour for groups over 15 members
Full entrance fee:110,00 Kč
Discount entrance fee:80,00 Kč
Family entrance fee:290,00 Kč Max. 2 adults and 3 children
Children's tickets:80,00 Kč for children up to 18 years
Student admission:80,00 Kč
Senior admission:80,00 Kč for persons over 65 years
Note:A Guided Tour only in July and August reservation not necessary ISIC or EYCA Cards80 CZK
Any time during opening hours. Has to be ordered ISIC or EYCA Cards80 CZK
King´s castles – Točník and Žebrák (basic tour) 120 min.
Full entrance fee:140,00 Kč
Discount entrance fee:100,00 Kč
Family entrance fee:370,00 Kč Max. 2 adults and 3 children
Children's tickets:100,00 Kč for children up to 18 years
Student admission:100,00 Kč
Senior admission:100,00 Kč for persons over 65 years
Note:Any time during opening hours. Has to be ordered ISIC or EYCA Cards80 CZK
Common ticket to both castles, better price. About 30 minutes walking from one to another – buy the ticket at least 2 houres before closing the Žebrák castle. ISIC or EYCA Cards100 CZK reservation not necessary

You could be interested in

 
Areal VrchběláFilm office - Středočeská filmová kancelář

Contact

Central Bohemia Tourist Board

Husova 156/21, 110 00 Prague 1
M: +420 222 288 911
E: info@sccr.cz

 
load